Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Stairs...the most difficult tool in Revit?

Well, the title may be little dramatic, but the reason I haven't posted in a while is because of the stairs tool. I spent the last four days trying to fix a stair problem that could have been avoided. If you've ever used the stair tool you know how frustrating it can be. I hope with this post I can shed some light on the stairs tool and cut some frustration out of your life. First of all, as with anything in Revit, creating stairs requires some forethought. This is especially true if you're creating a multistory stair. You will most definitely want to create the first level stair as a single stair. Don't include it as part of the multistory stair. The reason is because the first level stair probably has some unique conditions. The included image might be one of those unique conditions. I still suggest creating a multistory stair on the stairs that will absolutely be the same from beginning to end. Now don't get ahead of yourself. You typically don't want to include the last stair as part of the multistory stair either for the same reasons you wouldn't include the first stair. The last stair is probably going to be different. Now if you haven't guess by now the reason you don't want to make the entire staircase one single multistory stair is because if you make a change to any part of said stair it will change it on all levels. This will result in much swearing and I don't want to get blamed for it SO DON'T DO IT. This topic will be a Revit Lunch and Learn Series, so there is more to come later. Meanwhile give it try. Click here for video tutorial on how to create stairs.

No comments:

Welcome to revitED!

RevitED (Revit Education) and general BIM topics. I've been using Revit now for 11 years, and though I feel I've got a pretty good handle on the software it seems each day I learn something new. I want to share that with the readers of this blog and hope you learn something new as well.