Thursday, January 15, 2009

Adding Common Sheets to Projects

These past few weeks I've been working on a sheet that will eventually become part of an .rvt file that users can load into their projects by select the Insert From File tool located on the file pull down. One thing I noticed as I was creating this page was that you cannot load a Legend view into another project using this method. Therefore what I did in this situation was created the sheet using a Drafting View. As you know, you can't place any 3D geometry into a Drafting View so I simply used lines to create the look I was after. Now I know this sounds a bit like stepping backwards, but if you think about it I'm not really referencing anything from this view, not calling anything out from here, so it doesn't really matter if it's line work. Remember, we want the software to work for us, not the other way around. Now when I choose the Insert from File tool on the File drop down I can easily choose the file where all my common sheets live and get a nice preview as to which one I need to insert.

No comments:

Welcome to revitED!

RevitED (Revit Education) and general BIM topics. I've been using Revit now for 11 years, and though I feel I've got a pretty good handle on the software it seems each day I learn something new. I want to share that with the readers of this blog and hope you learn something new as well.