Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Importing Sketch Up Models (updated)

As is the case, I sometimes run across information that adds to or even supersedes information I have previously written about. This is one of those times. I ran across some information regarding importing Sketch Up models into Revit. Turns out you don't need to go through the Family Editor to import Sketch Up data to be able to use it. Here are the amended steps: Instead of opening up the Family Editor, all you have to do is click the Create Mass tool under the Massing tab on the Design Bar. Once you have named the mass you will be in sketch mode. Then and only then can you import the Sketch Up file into Revit. Follow all the same steps to import found in Importing Sketch Up Models. Using this method still gives you all the functionality as if it were a Component family, but it is in actuality an In-Place family. Which, in this case, doesn't really matter because you're not really going to need to save it to a file to be used in another project. Click here for video tutorial on SmithGroup network.

No comments:

Welcome to revitED!

RevitED (Revit Education) and general BIM topics. I've been using Revit now for 11 years, and though I feel I've got a pretty good handle on the software it seems each day I learn something new. I want to share that with the readers of this blog and hope you learn something new as well.